Wednesday, 5 July 2017

Waiting impatiently

It's Insecure Writer's Support Group time again. Do sign up for the group if you're an insecure writer (which I reckon is just about every writer for at least some of the time).

Just sending off a piece of writing gives us plenty of 'opportunities' for insecurity. Did we follow all the guidelines or competition rules? Have we correctly interpreted the requirements? Is the formatting right?

If there's no immediate acknowledgement we worry it hasn't arrived. Then we convince ourselves it has and whoever is reading it hates it. After a while we start to wonder if the reply got lost. Should we chase up a response?

How do you distract yourself from worrying about your submitted work?

What do you do if replies don't come – and how soon do you do it?

14 comments:

  1. All that runs through our heads - and it's usually none of the above!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the trouble with good imaginations - we can easily think the worst!

      Delete
  2. I tend to err on the side of caution and let several weeks, if not months, go by until sending a "nudge" email about a requested full manuscript. For queries, I'd probably assume that no response means no unless the website says something different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work on something else.

    Usually they say to wait a specific amount of time for inquiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer it when they do quote a time period, rather than just leave us wondering.

      Delete
  4. I'm with Chrys. And I'll add, immediately. It's always best to have something going that you believe in and love, even if another thing is what you're inquiring about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - whether the first is accepted or not, we'll want something else to send.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes. Just waiting would be agony and a waste of time.

      Delete
  6. Hey Patsy,

    Indeed, IWSG, which, rumour has it, was a site dedicated to me. You know, IWSG aka, "I Was Seeking Gary", then I woke up.

    Seriously, it's a good setup for those published and aspiring writers to help each other. To support each other.

    I have never been insecure about my writing. For my writing is a therapeutic outlet and that's fine by me and the dog who writes way better than I ever could.

    Take care, Patsy.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all write different things and for different reasons. If you're getting what you want from your writing, then you're doing it right.

      Delete
  7. A professor of mine gave me some good advice - always have something submitted somewhere at all times, then eventually you don't even think about it unless something good comes back:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good advice. I was once in the position that everything I'd subbed had been rejected and decided then to always have something out, so there was always a chance then next post could bring a yes. It paid off eventually.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting!